Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Tomato tip rooting - day 10

Here's a follow-up to my previous post. As you recall, the tomatoes had gotten too tall for the hoop house and it was still 4 weeks until plant-out date here in my neck of the woods. (I prefer not planting until Memorial weekend - it's just warmer soil by then.) Anyway, taking the advice from folks from the GW Tomato forum, I cut off the tips of these 30 plants. The cuts were each 8-10" long and I potted them back into their 16oz cups.

I watered them well and put them on the warming tray under lights in the basement. An inspection the next day showed maybe 2 plants that were totally soft and droopy which looked so bad I mentally wrote them off.

5 days later I watered them again, this time with a dilute solution of rooting stimulator. The 2 droopy toms (a Bob Estler "Mortgage Lifter" and a Supersonic) were still hanging in there, but still very droopy.

Here, 10 days later, all are looking terrific! Even the 2 droopy plants have perked up and standing tall along with the others.


On day 9 I was surprised to find this Rose Quartz in bloom.

On day 10 I tried to snap a pic showing how rootlets are sprouting along the stem. I did not want to disturb the soil in the cup. But all of them have rootlets sprouting just above the soil line heading downward. So between that and the overall perkiness of the plants (and good color) I assume that all is well underground. (Sorry for the blurry pic. My camera does not have a good macro setting. But the white rootlet is plainly visible.)

I was going to bring these kids up from the basement and put them outside today, but it is supposed to be windy and rainy and tomorrow storms are forecast with at least another inch of rain. So I'll just let these babies warm their rooties in the basement spa for a couple more days.

Stay tuned...:-D

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome. I haven't rooted any yet. I had planned to create bunches of tomatoes this way, but I am out of room. My bursztyns will probably produce a second crop using this method, just have to collect the first harvest before I do any rooting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, why wait until harvest? Take and root a couple of the suckers and get them started. And then keep us posted on your blog. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you. :-D

Followers