Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Tomato tip rooting - day 20

Here's what we've all been waiting for: day 20 of the great "Tomato Tip" experiment!



First off I'm happy to report that I did not lose even a single plant! YAY! (What I'm going to DO with all these 'maters - these 30 and the other 24 - is probably going to be another post. ;-D )

These came outside on day 10. But for the first week or so I brought them back into the breezeway as temps plummeted. (The bird bath was frozen solid last Monday!) But by Wednesday nighttime temps were mild so they have been outside ever since getting lots of early morning sun and then dappled shade in the heat of the day. (Yes, we whiplashed from FREEZING to 80s!)

On day 15 I gave them some dilute "Sea Rich" (an organic fertilizer). I gotta say, their color is still as deep green as the day I cut them off the original plants. And, as you probably notice, have gotten almost 6" taller!

But I know what we all wanna see! Right? Right?

WHAT'S INSIDE THAT CUP???

Well, I won't keep you in suspense. I pulled out one of the Bob Estler's Mortgage Lifters and took a peek at the roots.

Sha-ZAM! Looking good here!


I'll say this, I would not hesitate to do this again. These 'maters are ready to be planted out and are actually doing better color- and stature-wise than the other 24! The other 24 are suffering from frost and freeze effects. Their color is a little yellow/purple-ish and I think I can hear them whine...

Bottom line, folks, I hereby resolve not to let 'mater seeds hit the germinator until APRIL next year. Really. Although this sure HAS been a lot of fun (especially since the results are so terrific!) ;-D

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Those plants look great! I have been rooting tomatoes this year too. Mostly because I break the stems off when I mess with them! I think they will come in very hand because I expect to lose some plant from the extreme humidity.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michele. I hope that they don't turn out to be 'all show and no go". This tip-rooting trick has really surprised me. Hope your's all turn out well this season! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you. :-D

Followers