Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Sunday, March 14, 2010

The lights are on - Spring 2010



Finally finally finally! I took myself down to the basement plant lab and am gettin' busy!

After weighing my options I decided that I'm going to try germinating a lot of seeds on the heat tray I made last year. One of the cons of using my 'real' seed germinators is that when you mix seed types you get staggered germination. Then you have to figure out how to deal with the cover. Unsprouted seeds need the cover on. Sprouted seeds need the cover off.

So this year I'm going to start seeds on the heat tray. Sure I'll still do a few traditional seed cells, but for the most part I'm sprinkle-sowing seeds in roomy containers from quarts of yogurt and those for lettuce greens. I'll pot up individual plants later.

Here's what's on the tray now:

Onions: green bunching, yellow granex, red burgundy and sweet bermuda
Lettuces: mixed gourmet blend
Spinach: Melody
Herbs: parsley, sage, rosemary, purple basil
Peppers: Anaheim, Big Dipper, Volcano (a wax variety) and hot lemon



As for the 'lid' problem, it's much easier to move sprouted containers out from under the plastic window film I'm using to hold the heat/humidity. There is still a lot of unused heat tray right now (it's 44" x 22" - almost 8 sqft of surface!) so in the back corner I'm rooting a dozen or so pots of coleus.

Wondering why I didn't do this last year instead of using my 'real' germinators? Well, I had expected to have this whole tray pretty much filled with pots of geraniums now - being warmed out of dormancy. But this year the plants became infested with white fly. ARGH! I've pulled up those plants for 4 year to overwinter. *sniffle* I had to compost them all and, and, *gulp* now I'll have to BUY geraniums this year. *wah*

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you got the seeds planted.
    I did the same thing, mixed two different types, onion and cabbage.

    Then realized the cabbages could take a lot more cold so divided them all out. The onions didn't miss a beat but the cabbages still look pretty sorry.

    Good luck with all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Glenda. I think I've delayed so long on WSing and getting seeds under lights is that I've been sooo busy this past winter. Usually by spring I'm crazy for something to do but this year I've been using my stock of creativity on lots of household and cooking projects. And right now -- I'm easily drawn to the comfy chair. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you. :-D

Followers