Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Friday, April 2, 2010

Let the tomato games begin!

Okay, everyone. Here's what we've all been waiting for. Yesterday (April 1) was TOMATO DAY!

I fired up the 2nd germinator and shuffled through all my seeds. Each cell has between 1-4 seeds, depending on how much I had or age of seeds.


Here's what made this year's cut:

Supersonic (for mom, she swears by them)
JetSonic (my new fave - last year they were fast and tasty)
Estler's Mortgage Lifter (the blight cut them pretty short last year)
Rose Quartz (I've sown a dozen - everyone I know must have one!)
Old Brooks (canner)
Bradley (canner)
Brandywine (found some 2008 seeds)
Early Goliath
Orange Russian (gift from Paul A. - new this year)
Italian Beefmaster (also from Paul this year)
Early Ssubakus Aliana (from Trudi @ wintersown)
Kus Ali (also from Trudi)

Hopefully all those nasty late blight spores bit the dust over winter. All of us around here are concerned that late blight might now be an annual event for us. I hope not! Most of us (myself included) have never had to deal with it before. So keep your fingers crossed, mater fans. For ALL of us!


Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on how I plant those tomato seeds - knowing the history/age of the packet of seeds influences how many I plant.

    And I'm also terrified we'll have the blight again.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you. :-D

Followers