Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Oh goody goody - greens

The greens are going great guns under the lights in the basement.


My persistence (oversowing) finally paid off with a nice flush of lettuce sprouts from 1-year-old seeds (left/Lollo Rossa; right/mixed flat leaf).  

In an ironic twist, I found a 6-year-old pack of Fordhook Swiss chard seeds and sowed them in the 3 center cells.  They were up within 10 days.  Go figure!

Meanwhile, in the crawlspace ....

Tada!


I had a lot of rewiring done in the basement (more info to come on the Household Adventures page) and in the process I decided to treat myself by having the crawlspace wired.  Now I have electrical outlets and overhead all-weather fluorescent lighting in there and can work with my dormant plants right in the crawlspace.  I'll be able to comfortably transplant geraniums and pot up the cannas and dahlias right there there instead of humping everything out into the basement proper.  What a convenience this is going to be!  Woohoo!

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

6 comments:

  1. Your crawl space looks very spacious! I have never been in ours...but I don't think you can even stand up....it does have wiring though.

    These little things make life so much nicer. Glad you got it done.

    I should start some lettuce soon. Yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenda - very spacious, running under the 2 first floor bedrooms and bath. It has a slanted floor so it ranges from nearly 4' by the windows to nearly 5' high by the basement wall. It makes for easy access to duct work, plumbing and wiring. Best part - it never gets below 50F all winter so it is great for cold storage and dormant plants. Now with electric in there it can really be better used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How'd I miss this one?? Heh!

    Sounds like you have a good plan going. I have found that many, many seeds will remain viable for years and years. I saved hollyhock seed from the house we had before the Ponca house, intending to sow it there once we were settled in. It got misplaced. Three years later, I found it in the shed while looking for something else. It always got really hot in that shed in July/August. I didn't figure they'd be any good, but I threw them out on the ground anyway. Lo and behold, plenty of hollyhocks!

    But I've not had good luck with romaine and certain lettuce seed staying viable very long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ilene - you gotta keep up, gal! LOL Yeah, some seeds have 100-year shelf life and others, like onions, practically self-destruct in a week. I usually have good luck with lettuce seeds, especially since most come in those little foil packets inside the seed envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like ur seeds are doing well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you. :-D

Followers