Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Still game - more green

Found a pack of arugula at a discount rack yesterday.  It really doesn't say what kind of arugula.  Honestly, would they try to sell you a pack labeled only 'tomato seeds' ?  Why don't seed companies tell us just what kind of seeds we're getting?!  And if they don't know, why should we even BUY from them?

On the same note, why don't they tell us right on the pack if ONION seeds are a Short, Long, Indeterminate or a Day Neutral variety.  Just because a big box store sells the same stuff everywhere, it doesn't mean we can all GROW the same stuff!  

Redwing onions, Copra onions
Blue globe thistle plants
Anyway - arugula (the last of this year's greens) are sown.  Now to await the greeny goodness.

NEWS FLASH: The arugula was up in less than 48 hours!  Woo and Hoo!

Meanwhile, all the other greens are coming right along:


3 kinds of kale







Beet sprouts











Swiss chard sprouts
I gave up trying to grow spinach (finally) last year.  It just doesn't work for me.  But this year I've got so many different tasty greens to graze on that I won't even miss it.  

I've also sown the newly arrived White sweet Spanish onions Pinetree sent as well as some white bunching onions I picked up when I bought the arugula.  

Meanwhile, in the crawlspace, the geraniums, dwarf snapdragons and a fuchsia are doing great.  Some of the geraniums are getting buds!



Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

4 comments:

  1. Everything is looking super.

    We are supposed to be warmer by the weekend..........maybe I will stir my self and do some sowing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Glenda - we're very cold for a couple of days then above freezing come the weekend. I'm waiting for my flower seed order from Specialty Perennials. Then I'll start wintersowing...after I dig out the deck...again. *woof*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you girl! I want the horticultural name on the package! And what's up with some of these seed houses (Gurney and Field's, for instance), renaming things? Last year I bought what they said was "chocolate mint" and it was that hummingbird agastashe with the orange flowers! Seeing as how we're PAYING for it, shouldn't we know what we're GETTING?
    Everything looks great!

    We woke up to more snow on the ground and the temperature is 8 degrees. Our heat pump has been running non-stop all night. I am soooo ready for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Put on an extra sweater, Ilene. And cuddle up to that new woodburner. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you. :-D

Followers