Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Monday, February 6, 2012

Feb 2012 GUL update

Here's an update on what's happening down in the (shhhhh) secret plant lab!

Arugula (rocket)

Tuscan (black) kale

Chard (green)

Blue & Red kale (poor germination - oversown 2ce)
Not pictured is a recently sown flowerbox of red lettuce and another of early wonder beets (thanks, Glenda).

I pulled all of the over-wintered geraniums from the crawlspace, cleaned them up, discarded anything puny, hydrated the roots, and now allowing them to sprout (2 pots front/right)  In a couple of weeks I'll cut all the growing tips off and root them to make new plants, then compost the old plants.  I find that I get better plants if I root new ones instead of planting the old root balls.

The blooms are from the 4 plants that live in the sunroom during warm season.  This winter I just brought the pots down and left them under 1 single 12-hours fluorescent fixture and they've been blooming right through winter.  This way I always have 1 pot of each color (red, salmon, pink and violet) to start new plants from.

Here's a new fun project I'm trying this season.  GINGER

I was reading up on the subject and finally realized ginger was a rhizome.  (DOH!)  Fresh organic ginger is pricey!  Boo.  Fresh ginger can be PLANTED.  Yay.

Since they are a tropical crop, I bought a large rhizome, cut/peeled/froze half of it for cooking, then cut the rest into 3 segments.  All 3 could go in a large 12" pot, but I thought I start each of them in a smaller pot so they could go on to the little bottom-heat germinater to start.  Keep your fingers crossed!












Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

6 comments:

  1. This is such a great place to have some warm in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry - it sure is. A great place to jumpstart the spring gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew that was ginger! What an interesting project....I will be following this one.

    The green stuff makes me envious. Why don't I get started....lazy that's why!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glenda - anyone who knows you would NEVER dare say you are lazy! *heh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the ginger, I'll be interested to see how you get on.

    I need to make a start on sewing salad crops but the greenhouse has been used as a storage area all winter and it's a MESS. Must focus on getting it cleared up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bilbo - There are lots of vids on youtube about growing them so thought I'd give it a try. I'll keep you posted.

    There's nothing like fresh greens. I've just harvested a handful of tender arugula yesterday. Oh, it was sooo good.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you. :-D

Followers