Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Springing into action!

You could just not believe how beautiful a day it was today.  Yesterday it never got out of the 30s.  Last night dipped into the 20s and there was frost.

But by 10:30 it was 50 and climbing.  So, even though I promised on the post on the main page that I would not to succumb to temptation, I was weak.

I decided since Spring greens are more hardy than anything else, I decided to assemble one of the table top hoopsters and bring all my salad greens out into the weather.

I hauled up chard, beets, kale, arugula and, because they, too, are pretty tough, 5 pots of trimmed-back geraniums.

Since none of these have any protection from UV at this point, I covered them with one of the sheer curtains that came with the house (and have been used outside for the whole ten years!).

Tonight it will dip into the 40s and there will be plastic over the sheer before it gets dark (which is 1 hour later now since the US decided that Daylight Savings Time will start on the 2nd Monday of March now.  Heaven forbid we should conform to the rest of the world!  *sigh*)

I will also toss a blanket over the plastic.  Tomorrow is supposed to get into the 60s again with some rain, so I'll strip the hoopster back to just sheer covering.  That way the rain will be turned into mist and not pummel the plants.

I figure the weather will be nice for 2 weeks, then tank again.  At that time I'll bring the greens into the sunroom until temps come back up.  This leaves me extra room downstairs to start other plants.  Nice huh?

2 comments:

  1. I need to get my coles outside in this nice weather too. I love your mini hoophouses. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the 4th season I've used these throw-together hoopsters. And putting them up on 'tables' make it oh so easy to get at the plants.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you. :-D

Followers