Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Monday, February 17, 2014

Feb 2014 greens update

It's been almost 4 weeks since I re-sowed the greens boxes in the basement.

Thought it was time for an update.

In the 1st pic you can see that I've actually been able, for the first time, to grow spinach!  Don't know why it's always been so hard.  I'll certainly continue to grow them in boxes.

Further along that pic are the arugula followed by the red beats.





The 2nd pic displays the black kale and then the green chard.  Both are really taking off.

All are looking good and green (thanks to dilute drinks of fish emulsion every 2 weeks).






The 3rd pic is some recently potted up mixed leaf lettuces.  I'm glad to see that so many of the red ones have sprouted.  Usually the colorful mix on the packet doesn't turn out that way in reality because the red ones seem to never sprout.






As for the 4th pic, remember when I took a chance saving a bunch of dead blossoms from a 'sterile' type of agastache ("Cotton Candy")?  Well, look.  Some of those sprouted.

There are about a dozen plants.  I can only hope that they continue to thrive and that they are true plants, not  a throwback to one of the hybrided parents.  We'll see.  Keep your fingers crossed!





Finally, to continue the action, I've sowed 8 Red Robin seeds and a couple dozen French breakfast radishes.  The shelf on the furnace is warm this time of year (and especially THIS year), so it should do a good job as a germinater.

As for the greens, some of you may have seen clippings showing up in salads on my Chef's Page.  These things are soooo tender and fresh.  You can't beat homegrown.  Especially THIS time of year.

Stay tuned.

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. It all is looking very good. I am still not motivated to sow anything...shame on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure one day there won't be any snow. Ha! I'll be ready for it when that ever happens.

      Delete

Looking forward to hearing from you. :-D

Followers