Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Zahara zins sown

I may be jumping the gun a little bit.  I usually sow annuals around mid-April, but I'm so anxious to see if these expensive Zahara zinnia seeds are viable that I've put them into the germinator today.


I think I got 46 seeds total.  I'm not sure if they were all whole - there looks to be some broken ones in there.  But I put what looked like a seed in 46 cells.

It doesn't say on the pack that these are hybrids, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to collect seeds from a couple of plants that I'll grow far away from my usual Thumblelina and Cut-n-Come Agains.   Fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, on the greens table -- the Red Robin pot tomatoes are looking really good with sturdy stems and deep green leaves.


After 10 days 2 of 11 Hungarian hot wax peppers have sprouted.  They are taking for.ev.er!  I'm certainly going to save seeds from my best plant this summer so I don't have to count on store bought seeds from now on.    In fact, I'm going to try and save as many seeds as possible this year due to integrity, ethics and GMO concerns with seeds from ANY non-organic sources.  Who knew we'd have to go to war with chemical/seeds comanies to grow vegetables on our own property!

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. Those plants do look very sturdy. It does take peppers forever to germinate. So far, my old tomato seeds have not come up....the new ones my Sis sent me came up in just a few days. I may have to buy some new seeds because I don't think I have any main crop ones up.

    I still have time. Be careful of the Hungarian Wax: they are very hot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris it is a hybrid. I found this on Missouri Botanical Gardens website:

    Noteworthy Characteristics

    ZAHARA DOUBLE FIRE is a compact, prolific blooming, disease resistant, double-flowered zinnia that typically rises to 8-12" tall on upright, branching, hairy stems. Bright red-orange double flowers (to 2 1/2" diameter) bloom continuously and profusely from late spring to frost in cool summer climates. However, flowering may slow down around the peak of a typical St. Louis summer, particularly if soils are allowed to dry out. Stem-clasping, obovate leaves (to 5” long) are medium green. Genus name honors Johann Gottfried Zinn (1727-1759) German botanist. Zinnia marylandica (hybrid between Z. angustifolia and Z. violacea) was developed at the University of Maryland in the 1980s. ZAHARA DOUBLE FIRE was an AAS award winner in 2010.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you. :-D

Followers