Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Early onion seed sowing

Obviously I have too much free time on my hands.

While out today, I stopped at the nursery and picked up a pack of fresh onions seeds (sweet Spanish - why?  the only onions they had beside bunching).

If I want to plant out nice seedlings in April, then I have to start seeds now.

I re-used a lettuce box.  I added about 1/3 sand to the potting mix.  Just thought it might keep the mix from drying out too much.

I filled the container leaving an inch from the top.

I'm a little OCD.  I like to see how many seeds I plant and how many of them sprout.  But putting black seeds in dark mix?  That won't work.  Hmmmm.  

Ah.  I cut a paper napkin and laid it on top of the moist mix.  It was really easy to see the placement of the seeds, giving each about 3/4" room.  The napkin will dissolve. (Same method I use for carrots, only no wheat glue here.) 60 seeds in the planter (30 left in the packet).

Then I gently spooned on 1/2" of sand/soil mix, gently tamped it down so as not to spread the seeds around and sprayed the lot with warm water.

Popped on a lid and put it on the furnace shelf.

There.  More to watch in the basement.

The little geranium trying to root?  I've put it elsewhere under a lamp.  I'm sure it'll do fine.  Geraniums are easy rooters.

 Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you. :-D

Followers