When I moved the one geranium up from the basement (12/13) and into the front bay window, I cut off one of the side shoots and potted it up using some #1 rooting powder.
Then I looked at the stem cutting from the black and blue salvia from 12/3 and saw that after almost 2 weeks, there's nary a sign of any root action in a vial of water.
So I cut 10 more salvia stems, powdered them with #1 rooting hormone and put 5 cuts in sand and 5 cuts in potting mix. I put them under cover, but not over heat. We'll see how this works out.
I might put them on the furnace shelf - it's gets nice heat there, but little light. There's always a trade off, no?
Still too early to do any REAL stuff in the basement yet. But it's fun to putz around.
Next day - cuttings on furnace ledge. I rigged up a light and *presto*. Mini greenhouses.
Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.
2009 TOMS 2010 TOMS 2011 TOMS 2012 TOMS 2014 toms agastache annuals arugula Basement plant lab beets Cannas carrots catalogs celery chard cleanup crawlspace cukes Cuttings Elephant ears flowers FuNgUs GnAtS geraniums germinator GinGer greens GUL 2009 GUL 2010 GUL 2011 GUL 2012 GUL 2013 GUL 2014 GUL 2015 GUL 2016 HEAT TRAY Herbs holly Hoop house kale lavender lettuce marigolds milkweed onions peppers perennials pipe cleaners potting mix radishes ReStore Rhizomes Corms Tubers + Roots root germinator rooting Rooting TOMATO Tips roselle rosemary salvia seed saving Seeds Sweet Joe Pye sweet potatoes thistle toma tomatoes vegetables weather willow work tables WS 2009 WS 2010 WS 2011 WS 2012 WS containers zins