Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Early Mar - 2015

The GUL plants in the basement are holding their own under my benign neglect.

Pic 1: Yellow onions sown in Dec on the left; combo of red & white onions sown in Jan on the right.

Pic 2: Clipping from geranium in Dec is putting out its 2nd bud while the 3 surviving B&B salvia cuttings are looking darn good.

Pic 3: 3 of the 4 saved salvia plants brought in and stored in the cool dim crawlspace have survived with only an occasional water. They got really leggy. Today I hauled them out and cut them down to regrow for spring.   I saved all the nice tips for rooting.

Pic 4: Salvias trimmed, watered, a touch of fish emulsion and under light. 

Pic 5: The 4th of the saved salvias and the 3 original saved geraniums are doing well in the front bay window, especially since I taped up more plastic to help keep out the bitter cold of this winter.

I will put the salvia cuttings into potting mix this time - no messing around with sand (that was a total failure).

I scored last week at Lowes and brought home 5 packs of Zahara zinnia seeds.  They turned out to be the PERFECT zinnia for along the turnaround beds. Sure, they're a little spendy (2.49/14 seeds), but they usually all germinate and the plants are outstanding!

It's still deep in snow outside, but a mild week is forecasted.  I suppose I should be thinking about starting peppers and some perennials next.  I'm really low on lavendars - so many died from LAST winter so I can only surmise I'll have even fewer out there in Spring.  Time to replenish those beauties.

Last year I kept the B&B salvias in pots on the deck but this year I'm going to plant them out in the gardens.  They have a heavy resinous fragrance and plants like that usually get a pass from the deer.  Fingers crossed.

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. I only tried growing onions from seed once and it was a fail. Of course, I used to try anything new as a direct sow, which I've since changed to starting some things in pots first. I have to say that if the real zinnias look like the photo on the package, they'll be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, I used to grow lots more onions in the past, just gotten lazy and too tired to fight the deer all the time. I may plant these seedlings in a tub so I can enjoy them as scallions instead of waiting for full growth. Shot you an email regarding the Zaharas.....

      Delete

Looking forward to hearing from you. :-D

Followers