Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Another tomato experiment

When I went to sow my tomatoes last week, I found out I didn't have any San Marzano seeds (nor Cut-n-Come again zins either). Oh well, no biggie.  I'll pick packets when I was out and about.

I went to Marc's.  Pitiful selection this year.  No SMs or CCs.  Went to Discount Drug Mart.  Also hardly any seeds.  No SMs or CCs.  Went to Sears hardware - they always have seeds.  NONE at all this year and they won't be getting any!!!  So I went to Dumonts Seed.  They had seeds, but no SMs or CCs.  

Whoa!  I'm going to have to travel to Lowe's or Home Depot to try next.  What is WITH seeds racks this year?  I've never seen them so few racks and hardly any selection.  Is it like this where you shop?

Anyway, even though I'm (fingers crossed) hoping to find them at the box stores, I had a sudden brainstorm.

For the past 5 years I've been growing Rose Quartz salad tomatoes from seeds I'd dried/froze in 2009.  

I rooted through the freezer and found a small bag of halved San Marzanos from last season.  Hmmm.  Okay, I defrosted a chunk, sorted out the seeds, cleaned them up and sowed them in the germinator.

We'll see.  I'm pretty sure they'll come up.  After all, the Rose Quartz do well, and every spring my compost pile has PLENTY of volunteer tomatoes from frozen seeds.  I'll still pick up a pack if I find some.  And I really need those zinnias too!

But really, what up with seeds this year?  Why are so many places cutting back?

==========
Update: the frozen SM seeds never did germinate.


 Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't really been looking for seeds but did spot a well-filled rack at our local grocery store....bought zinnias, marigolds, cosmos and a pickling cucumber (4/$1.00!).

    I will be interested in seeing how the frozen SM seeds do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got very poor tomato seed germination this year, hope you do better. It's wet here today and I might be sowing a second batch, theoretically they will catch up . . .

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you. :-D

Followers