Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Friday, March 11, 2016

March GUL update (2016)

A quick post on this year's GUL progress.   From left to right, top to bottom:

Perennial blue flax sprouts; columbine sprouts, collard (new this year) sprouts, French breakfast radishes, some Black & Blue salvia cuttings, and, finally, the frequently grazed greens: red beet, Swiss chard, arugula.

Not pictured is the sprouted end of a sweet potato in the kitchen window which only yesterday showed roots.  

I am so lucky that I have a basement so I can grow organic greens out of season.  I usually grow kale, but I want to get more calcium from food than supplements so this year will have me checking out collards.  They have far and away more calcium per oz. than any other dark leafy green.  I'll keep you posted on that.

Next up to sow in March: sweet & hot peppers and Red Robin miniature tomatoes (I should have started them in January, but we were really sick then).  These tiny plants give a big harvest and I should grow them in the basement over winter like the greens since tomatoes don't need pollinators.  

Otherwise, things are going pretty good downstairs.  Too early for annuals & tomatoes.  Plenty of time yet.

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. Let me try that again! Your starts look very good. I will be interested to see what you think about the collard greens......

    I have felt too crummy to do anything but must jar myself out of this and plant some eggplant asap. I wasn't going to this year, but ran across some great sounding recipes using them and couldn't resist. I now have three kinds to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have any good recipe for collards? I found some online, but thought you might have a goody. Sorry you are feeling crummy these days. I know this changeable weather sure doesn't help. Looking forward to your eggplant progress in future posts. Take care, don't overdo.

      Delete

Looking forward to hearing from you. :-D

Followers